Friday, August 04, 2006

Door to door by friends

Our heat index yesterday was 108. Making sun tea would have been quick as long as you got to the jar before the sun evaporated all the water. I don’t go out much on days like that, and we’ve had a lot of them lately. Earlier this week I went to the grocery store and thoroughly enjoyed the cool produce and meat sections of the store. But, back home with a trunk-load of groceries, I could not get them all inside before I was panting and had to rest. I brought inside only those things that needed refrigeration.

Younger people without asthma and allergies can cope with the heat better, and I am grateful for them. I can remember being one of those and helping people who needed things done during the extremes of cold or hot weather. That’s not who I am now. I’m a 60-year-old who is hampered by breathing problems.

Yesterday, a friend came to get me in her already cool car and took me to lunch. She dropped me off at the door and I went inside to wait for her. Likewise, while I was getting a refill for my iced tea, she got the car and was waiting for me at the door. How delightful it was to be able to accept help in order to keep doing the things I enjoy. And, how absolutely wonderful to have friends who will help.

We also went to the grocery store to pick up something I had forgotten, and, again, I got the door to door treatment. I arrived home still breathing fine and having had a great time. Just getting out for a couple of hours really keeps away the cabin fever.

Today promises to be another scorcher; so I’m not sure what I’ll do. I usually go to a Friday noon meeting in another town; perhaps I’ll let my partner drive while I enjoy the air conditioned car – door to door service by those who breathe better than I.

Thanks, y’all!

No comments: