Saturday, November 08, 2008

Clothes

Too many and not enough of the right kind. The problem with being a sale freak is that you end up with lots of black t-shirts - dressy ones, regulars, printed, embroidered and not enough that match the pants you have. The mix and match separates are okay, but seldom do I find matching tops and bottoms of the right sizes. So, I end up with pants that fit but don't have matching tops or even contrasting tops of the right kind, or tops that fit and leave my bottom hanging in the breeze without appropriate pants.

Today, I sorted through the pants again - having changed sizes when I lost a bit of weight with Weight Watchers, and prowled through the larger size pants that partner had left when she lost 40 pounds. I found one pair of jeans and a pair of non-cotton knit pants that look halfway decent. And, I found a whole tubful of turtle necks and mock turtle necks. Now, I don't know how many of them fit or are fit to wear, but I'll bet that I find at least one black one with the tags still on it. The white ones get stained and wear out quickly.

I did send a whole tubful of stuff to the thrift shop. I really like some of the short-sleeved t-shirts that I sent away, but I do think that two tubfuls of short sleeved ones is enough.

We bought me some blouses yesterday to wear and some black pants. The only colors available in my size this year are black and brown, and I hate brown. Now I have good black pants, working black pants, knock-around black pants and almost worn out but still comfy black pants. And, I have various colors and stripes of blouses/shirts to wear. So, I guess I'm set for the winter and my trip to Cleveland Clinic later this month.

But, the real topic of today's blogging is the excess of clothing I have when little of it goes together. Being mis-matched is the bane of people like me who shop the sales and whose tops and bottoms are not the same size.

4 comments:

Forsythia said...

My late mother-in-law (from Cleveland!) prided herself on being a "demon shopper." Her closet was crammed with bargains. She also gifted others with her great buys. Blouses in horrible patterns/colors, just 50 cents each.Men's shirts with buttons on the wrong side. You get the idea. One time she bought a beautiful garnet-red velvet sheath for me for $2.00. Trouble was, I couldn't wear it. Although I was skinny back in the 70's, I just could not get the thing on. Remember Popeye's girlfriend, Olive Oyl? I don't think Olive could have gotten it on either.

Janis Bland said...

Welcome to my world! Or vice versa.

One of these days I would like to make some of my own clothes.

PseudoPiskie said...

I wish I had an excuse to get rid of some of my stuff. I need the correct round tuit tho. I wear most of what I have now.

Cecilia said...

Not too long ago I took three huge garbage bags of clothes that were too big for me to our church rummage sale. It felt amazing! My closet is not empty now... but everything in there is something that fits and that I love.

It's been a long time.

Pax, C.