Wednesday, January 27, 2010

by Emily


















I'll tell you how the Sun rose
by Emily Dickinson

I'll tell you how the Sun rose --
A Ribbon at a time --
The Steeples swam in Amethyst --
The news, like Squirrels, ran --
The Hills untied their Bonnets --
The Bobolinks -- begun --
Then I said softly to myself --
"That must have been the Sun"!
But how he set -- I know not --
There seemed a purple stile
That little Yellow boys and girls
Were climbing all the while --
Till when they reached the other side,
A Dominie in Gray --
Put gently up the evening Bars --
And led the flock away --

2 comments:

PseudoPiskie said...

I think you gotsa a spam, M. Interesting poem tho.

River Glorious said...

What a lovely poem! I am familiar with the poet's name but not her work. I'll have to look it up now. Thanks for your advice about my Boston trip and thanks for sharing this.

river