Parishioners pushing for carols before you digested your turkey? Organist refusing to play Advent hymns because he/she already has them planned for Lessons & Carols? Find yourself reading Luke and thinking of a variety of ways to tell Linus where to stick it? (Lights please.) Then this quick and easy Friday Five is for you! And for those of you with a more positive attitude, have no fear. I am sure more sacred and reverent Friday Fives will follow.
Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....
1) dessert/cookie/family food
2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...)
3) tradition (church, family, other)
5) gift (received or given)
BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it.
I know, I know.... pretty grumpy for November but why not get it out of our systems now so we are free to enjoy the rest of the festivities.
Stole this one from Hedwyg, but it sounds like fun:
1. My least favorite dessert is pumpkin pie or anything with cinnamon prevalent in it, especially hot things with cinnamon. I think I must have suffered olfactory overload with cinnamon at some point, and now I can hardly eat it much less go into a store with cinnamon potpourri.
2. Anything sickeningly sweet - punch usually hits this category with fruit punch as its base, but I like the tart ginger ale stuff. And, anything with alcohol is too much for me. I love egg nog, but it doesn't like me.
3.For Christmas dinner we invite friends who don't have other family with whom to celebrate. We also have a tree trimming party and everyone gets a gift bag to take home. We provide the food and they decorate the tree, putting on as many of our ornaments as they possibly can. Then we sing Christmas carols.
4. I do love the inflatable outdoor decorations - in others' yards. For myself, I cherish my miniature Christmas trees. In 1988 when we discovered I had been accepted in seminary and we were going to have a tiny apartment, I bought the first Hallmark miniature tree and a few of the ornaments for it. This has grown to a current blessing of seven trees and will grow by at least one more this year. Among the decorations are some crude wooden ornaments, lots of Hallmark miniatures, and cherished pieces of jewelry and other memorabilia from past years.
5. My Mom, God loves her, she's dead now, used to give me clothes that I would never put on my body. She loved lace and ruffles, and for years and years she gave me lace and ruffles. I'm not that kind of person. Finally she gave me a man's denim shirt and resignedly said, "Well, I think you'll probably wear this." LOL
Music - I've been having fun with iTunes, having bought the last slim 8 gig iPod nano in the world (well, maybe just in this area) before they changed its size. I've downloaded all my old favorites, my Mom's old favorites, choral Christmas, some new stuff - but I just don't even understand the hip-hop Christmas music - and some of the hard rock stuff is indecipherable even though I like hard rock....I like to sing along where possible. But, I truly object to having Christmas carols 24 hours a day from Halloween until Christmas day - then it's all over - no 12 days of Christmas - no Epiphany. Just blap Halloween to Christmas Day.